Fantastic Feasts Poetry by Young Writers
Congratulations to all the aspiring young writers who entered the poetry competition. The judges were very impressed with the high standard and range of poems received for the competition, which made the task of assessing the works extremely challenging. The place winners were:
Senior Category (15-18 years)
- 1st – Maria Bascunan, Zeus thinks Jupiter should be named after him
- 2nd – Jessica Tater, fur and feather
- 3rd – Stephanie Lester, Persephone’s Letter
- Highly Commended – Chloe Heineke, Longing
Junior Category (11-14 years)
- 1st equal – Lukas Obele, The Lonely Vase
- 1st equal – Trelise McEwan, Swallowing Pomegranate History
- 2nd – Bruce Chen, Greek and Roman foods poem
- 3rd equal – Sarah-Kate Simons, Athena
- 3rd equal – Zoe Sullivan, Ten ways of looking at Pomegranates
- Highly Commended – Lucy Martin, Confined
Guest judges for 2019 were poet Dr Lynley Edmeades, University of Otago Department of English, Professor Paul Millar, University of Canterbury Department of English, and Dr Patrick O’Sullivan, University of Canterbury Department of Classics.
Many thanks to all the poets who took the time to share their work with us. Place winning poems will be published on the Teece Museum webpages.